CodeIgniter is an open source software rapid development web framework, for use in building dynamic web sites with PHP. Its goal is to enable you to develop projects much faster than you could if you were writing code from scratch, by providing a rich set of libraries for commonly needed tasks, as well as a simple interface and logical structure to access these libraries. CodeIgniter lets you creatively focus on your project by minimizing the amount of code needed for a given task
2006: CodeIgniter was born. CodeIgniter is a powerful open-source PHP framework with a very small footprint, created by Rick Ellis in 2006. CodeIgniter was born from Expression Engine essentially a collection of refactored classes originally written for EllisLab's flagship CMS.
2008: Industry leader. In an environment now saturated with PHP frameworks, CodeIgniter was for a long time the only solid choice for a developer who lived in the real world of shared hosting accounts and clients with deadlines. CodeIgniter flew in the face of ponderously large and thoroughly undocumented frameworks, leading PHP's creator Rasmus Lerdorf, an outspoken critic of frameworks, to praise CodeIgniter.
2009: ExpressionEngine 2.0. In 2009, EllisLab launched ExpressionEngine 2.0, rebuilt on the CodeIgniter framework. This flexible codebase allowed third-party developers to more easily build powerful tools and add-ons, resulting in an explosion of high quality talent in the ExpressionEngine community.
2014: BCIT Stewardship. In 2014, EllisLab granted ownership of CodeIgniter to the British Columbia Institute of Technology, where it could continue to grow and thrive in the hands of a highly-esteemed education institution. Incorporated directly into their curriculum, BCIT has transformed CodeIgniter from being "just" a tool for PHP developers into a living lab, building the next generation of talented developers.
Application Flow Chart
- The index.php serves as the front controller, initializing the base resources needed to run CodeIgniter.
- The Router examines the HTTP request to determine what should be done with it.
- If a cache file exists, it is sent directly to the browser, bypassing the normal system execution.
- Security. Before the application controller is loaded, the HTTP request and any user submitted data is filtered for security
Why CodeIgniter ?
- Easy and hassle-free migration from server hosting to server hosting.
- Easy to learn, adopt and deploy
- Easy handling and customizing.
- A new functionality has been applied without affecting the customization at all.
- Offers flexibility and easy management With MVC based framework.
- Active Record Implementation is simply superb and easy to remember.
- Provides easier configuration and customization of configuration files.
- Facilitates easy working with a variety of developers.
- Good collection of possessed libraries.
- Awesome documentation of the user guide, which makes it easy for any coder to use the whole framework.
- Enables to incorporate its own existing scripts as well as develop core librariesfor the system
- Lightweight and extensive.